Botanical name: Ginkgo biloba
Actions: Adaptogen, alkalizer, anti-aging, antifungal, anti-inflammatory, antioxidant, antispasmodic (mild), astringent, bitter tonic, cardiac tonic (mild), expectorant (mild), nervine, sedative (mild), tonic, vasodilator, vulnerary.
Parts used : Leaf-promotes blood circulation, stops pain, benefits the brain, and is astringent to the lungs. Seed-considered astringent for the lungs, stops nocturnal emissions, stops asthma, enuresis, excessive leukorrhea and increases energy.
Ginkgo Biloba comes from the Ginkgo tree, and is one of the oldest living tree species. The Ginkgo tree has been around fro 150 to 200 million years. The Chinese have used Ginkgo for thousands of years for various ailments. Ginkgo Biloba was first introduced to Europe in the 1700’s, and is now used all over the world. Ginkgo Biloba is one of the most researched herbs.
Ginkgo (Ginkgo biloba) is one of the oldest living tree species and its leaves are among the most extensively studied botanicals in use today. Unlike many other medicinal herbs, ginkgo leaves are not frequently used in their crude state, but rather, in the form of a concentrated, standardized ginkgo biloba extract (GBE).
Medical uses and benefits of Ginkgo Biloba
- One of the best herbs for the brain and nervous system.
- Improves cerebral vascular insufficiency.
- Used throughout the world for memory loss and vertigo (dizziness).
- Strengthens the heart and vascular system.
- Increases blood flow to the tissues.
- Useful in cases of asthma.
- Used for tinnitus (ringing in the ears).
- Has been proven beneficial for fibromyalgia.
- Very beneficial for hemorrhoids, spider and varicose veins.
- Has been useful for carpal tunnel syndrome.
- One of nature’s great tonics, especially to the “neuro” system.
- No major adverse effects seen in any clinical trials of Ginko Biloba. Rare minor side effects reported are mild gastrointestinal discomfort & headache.
- Very large doses may cause diarrhea, nausea, vomiting & restlessness.
- Ginkgo may increase risk of bleeding, and should not be used if you have a clotting disorder