- Select the Start button, then select Settings > Time & Language > Region & Language.
- Select Add a language and choose the language you want from the list. Only languages listed in the table below will have Text-to-Speech capabilities.
- After the new language has been installed (this may take a few moments), select it in the Region & Language list, and then select Options.
- Under Language options > Speech, select Download.
- Restart your computer. The Text-to-Speech voices will be installed when your machine turns back on.
Text-to-Speech languages and voices available in Windows
|Language (Region)||Male voice name||Female voice name|
|Arabic (Saudi Arabia)||Naayf||Not applicable|
|Catalan Spanish (Spain)||Not applicable||Herena|
|China (zh-CN)||Kangkang||Huihui, yaoyao|
|Czech (Czech Republic)||Vit||Not applicable|
|English (Great Britain)||George||Hazel, Susan|
|English (Ireland)||Shaun||Not applicable|
|English (United States)||David, Mark||Zira|
|Flemish (Belgian Dutch)||Bart||Not applicable|
|French (France)||Paul||Hortence, Julie|
|German (Germany)||Stefan||Hedda, Katja|
|German (Switzerland)||Karsten||Not applicable|
|Hong Kong (zh-HK)||Danny||Tracy|
|Hungarian (Hungary)||Szabolcs||Not applicable|
|Indonesian (Indonesia)||Andika||Not applicable|
|Portuguese (Portugal)||Not applicable||Helia|
|Romanian (Romania)||Andrei||Not applicable|
|Slovak (Slovakia)||Filip||Not applicable|
|Spanish (Spain)||Pablo||Helena, Laura|
|Taiwan (zh-TW)||Zhiwei||Yating, Hanhan|
|Thai (Thailand)||Pettara||Not applicable|
Third-party Text-to-Speech languages:
Additional Text-to-Speech languages can be purchased from the following third-party providers:
Note: These options are provided for informational purposes only. Microsoft does not endorse any particular third-party software, nor can it offer any support for their installation and use. For help with these products, please contact their original manufacturer.
Open source Text-to-Speech languages
Free Text-to-Speech languages are available for download from Open source provider eSpeak. These languages work on Windows 7, but some may not yet work on Windows 8, Windows 8.1, or Windows 10. View a list of available eSpeak languages and codes for more information.
Download eSpeak languages
- In your browser, visit http://espeak.sourceforge.net/download.html.
- Download the “Compiled for Windows” version, titled setup_espeak-1.48.04.exe.
- When the download is finished, click Next at the first Setup screen to begin installation.
- Confirm the installation path, and then click Next.
- Enter the two-letter code(s) for the language(s) and flag(s) that you want to install. For example, if you planned to add Text-to-Speech for English, Spanish, Polish, Swedish, and Czech, your screen would look like this:
To use alternate voices for a language, you can select additional commands to change various voice and pronunciation attributes. For more information, visit http://espeak.sourceforge.net/voices.html. Pre-set voice variants can be applied to any of the language voices by appending a plus sign (+) and a variant name. The variants for male voices are +m1, +m2, +m3, +m4, +m5, +m6, and +m7. The variants for female voices are +f1, +f2, +f3, +f4, and +f5. You can also choose optional voice effects such as +croak or +whisper
- Select Next twice, then select Install to complete installation.
This page gives direct links to eSpeak downloads on one of the Sourceforge mirrors.
To get other versions of eSpeak, or use other mirrors, use the Sourceforge download page
Source code and dictionary data. Also binaries compiled for Linux 32bits and portaudio v18.
espeak-1.48.04-source.zip (2.8 MBytes)
Compiled for Windows. SAPI5 and command-line versions.
setup_espeak-1.48.04.exe (2.5 MBytes)
Compiled for Mac OSX
espeak-1.45.04-OSX.zip (1.9 MBytes)
Compiled for RISC OS
espeak-1.47.06-riscos.zip (1.0 MBytes)