Canon Pixma printers use individual ink cartridges for each of four to six colors. Cartridges have a small microchip that will need to be reset when you refill them, so you’ll need a chip reset device, which you can purchase online. Refilling ink cartridges can be messy, so put newspapers or rags down before you begin to avoid getting ink all over your work surface.
1. Remove the label from the top of the empty cartridge. You want to expose the round plastic stopper. This is where the ink is injected.
2. Place the orange plastic cartridge cap on the bottom of the cartridge and secure it with rubber bands. The plastic cap came with the cartridge when you bought it. If you’ve lost it or thrown it away, use a piece of cardboard. This keeps ink from leaking out of the bottom while you’re refilling.
3. Enlarge the small hole in the plastic stopper at the top of the cartridge using the enlarging tool that came with your kit. If there’s no awl or enlarging tool, heat a small screw with a lighter and screw it into the stopper. Use pliers to pull the screw out and the stopper will come out with it.
4. Fill the provided syringe with ink following the kit manufacturer’s instructions. Some kits include a pre-filled syringe for you.
5. Insert ink into the cartridge using the refill syringe and the hole you just enlarged or created.
6. Remove the plastic cover from the bottom of the cartridge and let the excess ink drip off.
7. Replace the plastic stopper with the plastic end of a syringe plunger if you removed it earlier. Remove the plunger from the syringe and place the small plastic end into the hole at the top of the cartridge. Pull the plunger out of the small plastic end, making sure the plastic stays in the cartridge hole.
8. Place the cartridge into the chip reset device and wait for it to flash or beep, depending on the model. The cartridge is ready to insert and use in your printer.
- Ink refill kit
- Chip reset device
- Rags or newspaper
- Plastic cartridge cap
- Rubber bands
- Cardboard (optional)
- Small screw (optional)
- Lighter (optional)
- Pliers (optional)
- Small syringe (optional)